4.01.2006

Lose Weight and Run Fast


When I started running I couldn't even jog. My run was a walk, and even that tired me out. I used to run a lot in high school, but when I went off to university my schedule of class and the general chaos of the student lifestyle left me little to no time for cardio training, weight training, or even the odd jog. And what happened? Well, I put on the pounds. I carried the weight well, mind you, but still felt very uncomfortable in my own body. By the time I reached graduation, I had managed to develop a fairly regular regime of cardio and weight training, and had lost a bit of weight and toned up somewhat. My endurance had increased slightly, but hadn't been a priority when I went to the gym.
Now I'm a post-grad student who can run a 8.5 minute mile with baggy pants. My secret? It's simple. You just have to change your priorities. Ask yourself: Why do you go to the gym? Why do you deprive yourself of what you crave? Why do you compare yourself to others? Why do you think you're too fat, or too skinny, or not fast enough?
I used to go to the gym because I wanted to lose weight. This is the wrong reason. Now I go to the gym to feel good. Exercising releases endorphins, and endorphins make you happy. Happiness is the reason we need to do things, because happiness can only create more happiness for yourself and those around you. So, when you go to the gym, go to feel good. Instead of having goals like 'lose weight', aim to 'run a mile' or 'jog for 10 minutes without a break'. It's starting with small and completely reasonable goals like this that will spring you into the greatest shape of your life! And when you're busy thinking about other things, you'll start to notice your body changing into something that makes you happy instead of something that you only see as standing in the way of your happiness.

And now, a playlist of songs to make you happy while you're celebrating your body at the gym!
But first a disclaimer. You must know that I am not afraid of being cheesey when it comes to work-out tunes. Sometimes the corniest of songs can really spur that "I'm in a montage right now" kind of energy.
Take a Change On Me - Abba
Sweet Road - Animal Collective
Do The Whirlwind - Architecture in Helsinki
For the Price of a Cup of Tea - Belle & Sebastian
Annie Waits - Ben Folds
Catch My Disease - Ben Lee
Big Time Sensuality - Bjork
Close To Me - The Cure
Pig - Dave Matthews Band
Chocolate - Snow Patrol
Such Great Heights - Postal Service
Gravity Rides Everything - Modest Mouse
Stand - R.E.M.
Ray of Light - Madonna
Kites are Fun - The Free Design

And there you have it! Run long and run hard.


Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 12:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I lost tons of weight by using a product called Phentermine, it's very safe to use and I had ordered it from www.medsheaven.com I recommend this for anyone who wants to lose weight very fast, quickly and easily, best product I've ever tried, it works very well.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home